Message in a bottle

Oct 8, 2011

Researching Tools

Research used to be a scary word for me as a teacher: How do I know my students will find what they need? What sites will they end up on? Is this site kid-friendly? How will they know what to look for? These are the questions that kept me from allowing my students to explore their own interests through research. I was discouraged by the big, scary, world-wide-web because I knew that there was so much my students were missing out on by relying on little ol' me as their main source of information. I decided that this might be even scarier ;) and was forced to let go, and let kids research using the internet!

Here are some "safe" tools to use with kids for researching information

askKids is a kid version of ask.com where they can search for movies, images, games, and answers.

Wolfram Alpha will calculate any math problem by giving the answer in standard form, word form, number line, visual representation, and more!

FindHow is a search engine for find out "how to" do a specific task.

No comments:

Post a Comment