Message in a bottle

Oct 8, 2011

Cool Tools for Language Arts Teachers

I couldn't leave these awesome resources off the list!

Little Bird Tales captures the voice of our children by making an environment where they become not only the author, but the narrator, illustrator, and publisher of their very own stories! Students can then email their final products to share with teachers, family members, and friends.



Story Bird is a collaborative story telling site where users pick from a library of artwork, and write their own short stories.

ICDL (International Children's Digital Library) this resource is pretty self-explanatory. There are thousands of children's books from all over the world available at our children's fingertips! They can search for books by genre, age level, or region of the world. A great way to liven up our own classroom libraries. When your over reading the same stories year after year, pull up one of these great stories. Also teaching our kids that literature is something that connects all of us, regardless of our culture or location in the world.

2 comments:

  1. I can not wait to use the International Children's Library. I will be using this in my classroom during calendar. We will be visiting a country a week. During our visit to that country we will be reading a book from that country. This will impact my teaching by letting the kids read books from another country and become Global! I think the International Children's Library will be beneficial in my classroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I used wordle to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students used StoryBird in my Reading Comprehension class and absolutely loved it! The best part of using Story Bird, in my opinion, is having the students collaborate. They can invite their classmates to help them complete their story, and their classmate can make changes, and send the story back! My 3rd graders are doing a great job! I'm even thinking about maybe using it in my math class for students to write their own word problems inspired by art.

    ReplyDelete